A person in the pits of chemical dependency or in any kind of disorder will sooner or later want to recover. What would you do if this person is someone close to you? What more if you are this person?
Currently, with the rising of many different disorders, many treatment centers have been sprouting. Usually, this management centers would entail you to admit yourself in an institution where you can be monitored by your attending physician. You obtain no inputs from the outside world, leaving your work or whatever it is that you do in idle.
One of the very problems admission to an institution is how would one get back on his or her normal routine. This is where Intensive Outpatient Program comes in.
What is Intensive Outpatient Program or IOP? It is a program that is being used significantly as a treatment service. It is a treatment service for individuals who wants to get out from the problems of substance abuse. This kind of clinical service has been developed throughout the early 1900s as a way of response to the famously managed care institutions. In this kind of program, the patient is given a stronger level of treatment against to the level of treatment that was normally accessible for outpatients.
Let us see the workings of IOP. Most of the time, patients are being grouped together with one clinician leading the group. Usually, the group meets with the physician 2 to 5 times a week for 2 to 3 hours at a time. In this kind of program, patients and the physician work hand in hand to accomplish successful treatment. The patient is being asked about her goals and objectives which will be included by the physician on the patient’s treatment plan. This working hand in hand generated feeling of control not just for the physician but also for the patient. The awareness of being in control creates an optimistic outlook according to numerous studies. In most cases, positive outlook leads to positive results.
IOP carries many advantages. Aside from giving the patient treatment while not taking them away from their standardl routine, it also augments management of stress, compliance in treatment, achieving goals, and coping skills. Also, this program also looks into the association between the patient and the family. The way of treatment in this program is what makes it more special. It takes into account the particular need of the individual. One can always find an IOP program that is suitable for his or her special needs.
There are many features of an IOP program. On the other hand, common programs can always consist of the following:
• The Counseling of the Individual. For faster recovery, the patient will be assigned to a counselor that would cater his or her needs.
• The Counseling of the Family. One of the most affected in an individual’s disorder is its own family. In this type of IOP program, the relatives will be educated about the disorder being inflicted on their loved one. Thus in the course, creates a supportive relationship for the patient.
• Group Counseling. This type of program creates hope, consideration and the perceptive that they are not alone in this battle.
• Disorder Education. The patient and the family will be given different workshops and knowledge concerning whatever disorder they are facing and the how can they be able to recover.
• 12 Step Programs. This is the very famous program known for its use of the 12 steps.
Currently, there are quite a number of specialists who argue that IOP is more helpful than individual therapies especially in substance abuse or chemical dependency treatment. Although on an remarkable note, IOP can also be used on another type of problems such as eating disorders and so on. Still, recovery is the vital factor. After all, in this kind of problem, you can never tell when you will be afflicted.
Intensive Outpatient Program is very helpful in treatment of borderline personality disorders, eating disorders, self-injury, chronic mental illness, as well as many others despite its popularity in addiction treatment.